Monkey’s eyes widened as we walked under the various rope obstacles and walkways towering above our heads in Chessington’s newest adventure course, Go Ape Junior.
Neither of us is scared of heights, but I instantly knew my boy was a little nervous as he was climbing up the steeps stairs towards the canopy of trees. As soon as he stepped out onto the first ledge, his body froze…
‘I’m scared mummy, what if I fall?’
Looking down to the ground towards my husband, who was waving at us, it struck me how far we were from terra firma, so I could only imagine how daunting it must have been to a five-year-old.
With some coaxing and words of encouragement, Monkey faced his apprehension and stepped out onto the ledge. It took some time to complete it, but once we did, the sheer joy on his face was worth the effort.
Then we did it all again, and again, and again… He grew in confidence each time he tackled the zip wire.
Not only did we get to have a mini-adventure, but it was a great lesson in teaching Monkey to conquer his fear. Watch our Go Ape Junior video to see for yourselves…
What is Go Ape?
Go Ape is a forest adventure for all the family. With over 30 courses around the UK, its core ethos is to keep the adventure in adventure:
‘We believe if you want to develop in life, you have to take risks – and we want to inspire people to do just that; by challenging, surprising and exciting them.’
This is definitely true of our time there. Who’d have thought some rope swings and walkaways, would inspire such confidence in our boy. We were also impressed by the staff at Chessington, who were encouraging and friendly.
Things To Know about Go Ape Junior Chessington
• Children have to be over 1m tall to be able to go on the Go Ape Junior Course
• Children under the age of six have to be accompanied by an adult
• You don’t need a Chessington World of Adventure Resort ticket in order to take part
• Head to Chessington’s Explorer car park to find the Go Ape centre
• There is a small cafe which serves sandwiches, coffee, cake and ice cream
• Wear comfortable clothes and sensible shoes
• Prices for the Go Ape Junior course are £18 per person.